Hugh Charles Fairfax-Cholmeley Timeline
|1864||Hugh born 24th February at Sans Souci, Posilipo, Naples. a villa about four miles out of Naples.The villa was built by his mother’s father, and she was brought up there.|
|Hugh brought to England as a baby and left with his sister Rosie, in the care of his Aunt Annie at Brandsby.
Cant. Thomas posted to Kilrush in Ireland as a Coastguard.
|c1868||Hugh’s parents collected him from Brandsby.
As a family they lived first in Yarmouth, then Pocklington, then Ripon, Yorks. Hugh missed Brandsby and the countryside.
|1876||Captain Thomas Cholmeley succeeds to the estates of Brandsby cum Stearsby: the estate stood at 2743 acres.
The family returns to live at Brandsby.
Brandsby estate stands at 2743 acres.
|Captain Thomas takes the prefix Fairfax to family name in recognition of having come into the Fairfax estate.|
|1885||Captain Thomas inherited the remains of the Fairfax estate, Gilling and Coulton.|
|1880-9||Captain Thomas struggles with the agricultural difficulties of the period and in the mid-80s is forced to let the Hall.
Bad agricultural seasons and a collapse in estate rent rolls all over the country.
|Hugh at school, Oscott College.|
|1884||Hugh went up to Christchurch College, Oxford,
His mother obtained special permission from the RC authorities for him to go there.
|1888||1) April, while still at Oxford, Hugh revisits the villa at Sans Souci for the first time.
2) December: Hugh enters the Toynbee Hall Settlement as a resident.
|1889||1) 11th April, Hugh comes into possession of the estate on the death of his father, which now totalled around 3200 acres.
2) May: Hugh moved from Toynbee to set up a community house at 49 Beaumont Square, Mile End, with Hubert Llewellyn Smith, A.P. (Arthur Pillans) Laurie and A.G. (Arthur George) Rogers.
3) Summer: Started the Reading Room in a vacant cottage in Brandsby village.
4) Autumn: got some of his friends to come to the Brandsby Reading Room to lecture and facilitate discussions.
5) Whitechapel School of Handicraft established in Globe Road.
|1890||1) Early part of year spent in Italy and Switzerland on account of his health.
2) First Sunday in May, back in London in time for big Labour demonstration.
3) Visited Sheffield in the company of Edward Carpenter and met Socialists, craftsmen and employers. Visited Carpenter’s house at Millthorpe. Next day they visited Sheffield, Hugh spent the night at George Hukin’s, the razor grinder,house. Next day visited socialist manufacturing works, Gem & Co in particular, owned by Fox, friend of Carpenter.
4) 16th August – 14th Sept: The Great Dock Strike, Hugh his associates all involved.
|1891||January: Hugh works all winter with Harry Nicholls of the Dockers Union, trying to establish an agricultural workers union around the Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire borders and the home counties. They also made trips into Oxford and spoke there to gain moral and financial support.|
|1892||1) First County Council election. Hugh campaigns in Brandsby and surroundings to upset the ruling clique
2) J.J. Dent came to visit and advised Hugh to affiliate the Reading Room Club to the CIU.
3) Hugh got the circulating library to also include the Brandsby Reading Room.
4) Plans for a Reading Room at Gilling, but this did not materialise.
|1892 -3||1) First dance held for the Reading Room club.
2) First technical education lectures instituted by the County Council, Hugh applied for a course which was held at Brandsby Hall.
3) Hugh breaks up the ‘Vestry clique’, demanding open election to the Parish Council.
4) Hugh starts work on planning his house at Mill Hill with Detmar Blow as architect.
|1893||Hugh engages Blow to create plans for the fold yard at Low Farm.
Mill Hill sufficiently finished for friends to come and stay.
|1893 or 95||Gilling Castle sold to Legard (former tenant)|
|1893-4||Hugh attends Sunday afternoon gatherings at York Powell’s house in Bedford Square, London; meets H.M. Paget, the artist.|
|1895||Hugh sets up the Brandsby Dairy Co-Operative Association in the Stables at Brandsby Hall.
|1898||49 Beaumont Square house in London abandoned through lack of money. The Craft School in Globe Road continued.|
|1896||Hugh engages Bankhart to design and organise renovations at Warren House Farm.|
|1901||Agricultural Organisation Society Ltd inaugurated. Hugh a founding committee member.|
|1903||1) 29 October, Hugh marries Alice Moverley, at St. Dominic’s Priory, Hampstead, London.
H.M. Paget paints Alice’s portrait as a wedding present.
2) Hugh takes a studio flat, 6 Wychcombe Gardens, Hampstead. By now, Hugh spending a lot of time in London on AOS business.
|1906||Alfred Powell designed Dairy building|
|1908||Hugh started the first account of his life|
|1910||Following some sales, the Brandsby Estate then comprised of 2,871 acres, most of this lay in the township of Brandsby, but with small woodlands in Coulton (35 acres), Grimston (41 acres) and Gilling (9 acres),|
|1911||1) Alfred Powell designed new wing for Mill Hill. Mill Hill let out. Hugh and family living in Brandsby Hall with a lodger.
2) 27 October, birth of second daughter Joan Alys at Portsmouth.
3) Brandsby Light Railway proposal approved at North Riding Quarter Sessions.
|1912||Work started on planning and building of a village hall|
3) Treasury agrees grant of £20,000 to Brandsby Light Railway.
Public meetings called at Brandsby, Stillington and Sutton -on-the-Forest to raised the other £20,000 needed.
4) Hugh decides to live at Brighton, with his family for the forseeable future. Mill Hill appears also to have been sold by this time.
|1914||1) Presentation to Hugh of his portrait by the village in the ‘Town Hall’ and Hugh’s acceptance speech,
2) Hugh gives £50 towards the Library and Recreation Room he hoped one day to see alongside it.
3) Hugh writes main account of his life and work.
|1923||Death of Hugh’s mother, Rosalie, née St Quentin, Fairfax-Cholmeley.|
|1925||Hugh becomes Master of the Guild of St George. He remained Master until 1934.|
|1927||Daughter Elsie returns home and commences being trained in farm and estate work.
Hugh and family move to live at Swathgill.
|1939||Due to money pressures, Hugh plans to let Swathgill House and go to live at Snargate. This plan not implemented, Snargate Farm House sold instead.|